In the past, most heavy machines were purchased locally. Or, at least, as close to a warehouse as possible. But the rise of online equipment shopping has expanded market access, opening up out-of-state buying opportunities that would have been nonexistent in the past.
So, if you’re on the lookout for a forklift but not in Ohio, you should still consider Value Forklifts for your needs.
But what are the specific benefits and potential drawbacks of broadening your search parameters? Here’s what you need to consider before you start your hunt.
Advantages of Searching for a Forklift Out of State
While there are several benefits to broadening your search outside your state limits, five advantages stand out:
- Cost savings – The most common reason why you would consider an out-of-state purchase is to get a great deal on a high-quality forklift. Although the more common factors that influence the price of a forklift include its capacity, operating capabilities, engine type, brand, condition, and accessories, one overlooked pricing element is the supply of these machines. Depending on where you operate, there may be supply constraints that increase the average cost of a used machine in your immediate area.
- Tax savings – Similarly, if you live in a state with a high sales tax, it may be beneficial to purchase a high-priced capital investment, such as a forklift, in a state that has a lower sales tax.
- Increased access to specialty equipment – While your local dealers may have the more common types of used forklifts to choose from, they may not have specialized pieces of warehouse equipment. We may offer types of forklifts that simply aren’t for sale nearby.
- Wide selection of forklifts – Even if you’re looking for a reach truck, the vendors in your area may not have reach trucks that match your purchasing criteria. You may want a specific brand or a truck with certain capabilities. By looking out of state, you can discover a vendor with a larger catalog of forklifts.
- Buy, sell, or trade – Some in-state forklift vendors may only sell machines. But they may not let you trade one forklift for another or be interested in purchasing your equipment. Top out-of-state vendors like Value Forklifts will allow you to buy, sell, or trade a forklift.
Potential Drawbacks of Searching Out of State for Forklifts
Before you expand your search beyond the boundaries of your state, there are some potential drawbacks to consider:
- Purchasing sight unseen – One of the advantages of purchasing in-state is that you can inspect the forklift in person. If you buy a used forklift out of state, you need to verify that you’re working with a trustworthy vendor like Value Forklifts that has the expertise you need.
- Shipping – Let’s say you’re operating in California, and you find the perfect forklift in Ohio. How will you transport your forklift to the warehouse? Moving heavy machinery is an expensive and difficult logistical puzzle. Luckily, Value Forklifts has inventory all over the country that may not require a large haul.
Value Forklifts—Buy, Sell, or Trade, a Forklift Out of State
A forklift is an essential piece of warehouse equipment.
The right machine could significantly enhance your operational capabilities. But to find the perfect forklift at the optimal price, you may need to extend your search beyond the borders of your home state.
Fortunately, you don’t have to search too far or wide. At Value Forklifts, we offer an extensive collection of reconditioned, high-quality, low-cost forklifts from the country’s top brands. You can buy, sell, or trade for one of our 200+ forklifts. Also, to help allay potential intrastate shopping concerns, we offer nationwide shipping and servicing, credit financing, and a 30-day return policy.
Have any questions about our forklifts? Contact us to learn more.